- This event has passed.
Writing Dynamic Characters: Online session
21 May @ 18:30 - 20:30
About this Event
This course is for all writers -novelists, screenwriters, playwrights, storytellers- interested in making characters drive the drama of their stories. Drawing on good practice in dramatic theory, learners will develop techniques for crafting satisfying character arcs that surprise audiences and play with conventions.
Throughout the session, participants will
- Broaden approaches to planning and developing characters through fun in-class exercises
- Explore examples of character arcs in popular drama that can inspire our creativity
- Unpick ways we can make our characters’ journeys serve our creative vision
- Explore the idea of the “hero’s journey”, in relation to classic dramatic structure
- Experiment with dramatic and comedic approaches to developing protagonists
- Develop good habits for crafting character-led work, focused on pushing our stories forward
- Find ways we can challenge ourselves as writers, to surprise our audience
- Write lots, with opportunities to share and discuss
About Hugh Dichmont
Hugh Dichmont is an award-winning writer and theatre maker, and artistic director of Nottingham production company INFLUENCING MACHINE. Projects include The Future History of the British Isles, a dystopian sketch show for podcast and stage, The War On Terry (UK tour), Pareidolia (Catalyst Festival, London), and short plays at venues including Nottingham Playhouse, Theatre 503 and The Vaults.
How to access the workshop
This workshop will be delivered online via Zoom. Zoom is a cloud-based video conferencing service you can use to virtually meet with others – either by video or audio-only or both. A user manual containing access instructions and a link will be sent out to you before the workshop. You will need an internet connection, and a computer with either a built in camera or webcam, and a built-in microphone/speaker.
Book your place
Tickets cost £13 for NWS members and £19 for general admission. Book your place, or to find out more about joining NWS, head to our membership page.