- This event has passed.
Page to Performance
13 November @ 19:00 - 21:00
Page to Performance looks at ‘how do we ‘do’ poetry?’ and throughout this workshop, you’ll be examining the artistic content of your chosen piece and how you communicate and lift the words from the page to performance level.
You will learn how to differentiate between reading or reciting a piece aloud and taking it to the next level, treating the piece as a script to be uncovered by introducing theatrical practices, working the performance space and delivering what needs to be expressed through the writing and spoken word.
This workshop is suitable for all abilities from beginners to those who have been performing at open mic sessions and want to develop their performance skills by adding colour and texture to the shape of their set.
At this workshop, you will…
- Learn about different acting and vocal techniques for your performance
- Explore the best ways to shape and rehearse a piece building up to a performance
- Work with fellow writers to develop performance and theatre skills including exercises on how to voice your writing publicly.
- Increase your confidence in your performance and develop your own working practices.
- Breathe new life into familiar pieces by viewing them from a different perspective.
- Rekindle the joy and find the fun in delivering the work
Nicola is a professional actress who trained at E15 Acting School. She has played leading roles in regional theatre, touring nationally and in Ireland and commercial theatre productions. Television includes a BBC2 Screen Play and a short film. She runs macTheatre, a not-for-profit arts organisation which produced an annual community Shakespeare-in-the-Park alongside professional shows and Arts initiated projects for local and regional councils. She currently produces local events with professional musicians, facilitating annual songwriting and guitar workshops. She has run theatre workshops for adults, youth theatre, stage schools and tutored students for exams, drama school, University entry and professional auditions.
Book your place
The price of this workshop is £15 for NWS members and £19 for non-members. Book your place, or to find out about joining NWS, head to our membership page.