Finding inspiration in nature
4 June @ 6:30 pm - 9:00 pm
Brought to you by poet, creative writing tutor and founder of Wordsmith_HQ, Dr Sophie-Louise Hyde, this workshop will examine the different ways that nature can inspire us and our writing. From direct inspiration for poetry and prose about nature itself to writing that physically and geographically ‘maps’ its location in the natural world, there is plenty to sink your teeth into in this session.
Who knows, you might even spot and be inspired to write about those tiny, but beautiful moments where nature crops up among the man-made structures in Nottingham city centre, too!
Working from both inside the Studio and outside in the city, as we embark upon our own personal journeys to find nature and ‘map’ or explore it throughout our work, you’ll learn how you can incorporate elements of nature into your writing and the importance of this.
This is an ideal workshop for anyone who is currently looking to generate new ideas for their work, is keen to develop their current work-in-progress by thinking about the natural world in more detail or has a love of nature and wants to get outside and experience it or explore it in their writing.
By the end of this workshop, you will…
- Have a better understanding of the role of nature and how we can incorporate this in creative writing;
- Discover different ways of exploring the natural (and, in juxtaposition, the man-made) world and learn how doing so can help you to generate new ideas for your own work;
- Practice writing from your senses to explore nature and the outside world;
- Get outside, kickstart new work and further develop works-in-progress;
- Share work with your peers (where you wish to) and receive some feedback (from your peers and the tutor) to help you to develop it further after the session;
- Receive the opportunity to share the writing that you work on in this session with Sophie for further thoughts and comments.
About Dr Sophie-Louise Hyde
Dr Sophie-Louise Hyde is a poet, creative writing tutor and entrepreneur based in Loughborough. With a PhD in Poetry (2017), Sophie has over five years’ experience teaching both Poetry and Creative Writing at Loughborough University. Her writing focuses on deploying found, verbatim and experimental techniques in poetry, and her work examines important and everyday events (while exploring both individual and community identities in relation to these. Sophie’s poems have been published in PETRIe 69 (on sale in Selfridges), The Worcester Journal (2015) and Ink, Sweat and Tears (2016). She has a wealth of experience running writing workshops through her online writing and publishing platform, Wordsmith_HQ.
Book your place
The price of this workshop is £12 for NWS members and £18 for general admission. Book your place, or to find out about joining NWS, head to our membership page.